Thin Blue Line Quilt



The Meaning of the Thin Blue Line Flag: The Blue represents the officer and the courage they find deep inside when faced with unbelievable odds. The Black background was designed as a constant reminder of our fallen brother and sister officers.


This is a Thin Blue Line quilt I made for my son-in-law.  It was supposed to be a birthday gift in July of '18, then I decided to make it a Christmas gift.  Unfortunately, it is not quilted yet.  I am going to try to learn a new technique before I quilt it.  What an adventure this was.  My husband designed the quilt.  He plotted the star field so every star was in the exact placement.  I owe him so many thanks for all his help.  Maybe he can learn to quilt when he retires next year!

The star field took me about two weeks.  Then I sewed the quilt together.  I had cut the stripes so unevenly it was very obvious.  I completely disassembled it and re-cut the stripes.  They were perfect this time, but when my husband looked at it, he said "there is a very serious problem!"  I had sewed the star field on upside down.  So I took it apart a second time.  Final time sewing was a charm.  I loved it.  Now it has to be quilted.  I am going to try to learn to freehand machine quilt so I can quilt around each star.  Wish me luck!

This is the label for the back:


Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called the sons of God.  Matthew5:9

Handmade for Gabriel Brown
by Diane and Tom Ahlers
January 2019
 

2 comments:

  1. Diane, I don't think you could have made a more special gift for your son in law than this. This is something that I'm sure means so much to him and he'll treasure it forever.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way you have a saved map for the star layout? I’m looking to sew a redline flag quilt and feeling overwhelmed with how to make sure the stars are perfectly placed and embroidered! Your quilt top is Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.

Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum

   This is another favorite of my Mo's digital Pencil Christmas images.  This is my final card for the March Christmas Card challenge at...